Sunday, January 31, 2010

TAPS


As many of you know, my grandfather passed away Thursday, January 14th. The kids and I flew out to Utah that Saturday to be there for the funeral and to spend some time with my family in Utah.

The funeral was a beautiful service. My grandfather was 94 years old when he died (in his own home, I might add) and had lived a very full and rich life. He managed to stay healthy and active until the very end. Consequently, we didn't feel like we were mourning his passing but more celebrating the life that he had lived. Of course we were sad to see him go, but happy that he was with his sweetheart, my grandmother, and his parents and his siblings. During the service many people spoke of his generosity, his love for his family, his beautiful garden, and his dedication to the gospel.

James was fascinated with seeing his body. It was a great opportunity to talk to him about the Plan of Salvation and how our bodies die but our Spirits go back to Heaven to be with Heavenly Father and Jesus.
I was able to stay "tear free" throughout most of the funeral. I did get choked up during the musical number "O My Father" and when "TAPS" was played at the graveside. But who doesn't get choked up during TAPS? It's such a forlone melody and music tends to have that affect on me.

I wasn't sure what was appropriate to photograph, so I tried to take some photos without people noticing...just in case...









2 comments:

Elise said...

How great you got to be there to commemorate the passing of such a wonderful grandfather. I'm glad it was so meaningful for you.

Jessica 7 said...

I'm very happy to hear it was a sweet experience. The picture of Molly and James is very cute.