Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A day full of firsts

So yesterday was our FIRST real day of the conference. For me it was an informative, idea provoking, and good day. But rather than bore you with what went on in the conference ("Blah blah blah...notetaking skills....blah blah blah...reading for information...blah blah blah...higher order questioning...blah blah blah...hands on activities...blah blah blah") I will tell you about my day of "Firsts".

First, I just wanted to say how clean Chicago is...well, at least the part I've been in. Yesterday morning, tired of running around the micro track in the hotel gym 100 times, I ventured out into the city. So very nice. It was a cool morning, with a slight breeze and there were other runners out, so I wasn't scared about running in the big city. I know some of you are thinking, "How could you be scared running in a big city? You run on Shewville road." I'm more scared of the ticks in the woods along Shewville road than I am of the drivers. Anywho, I digress, great experience, didn't have much time to explore as I had to get back and get to my morning meetings (to which I was late (it was mostly Lisa's fault), shocker I know). Tomorrow, I'll have to go the other way and see if I can find all the shopping that Michigan ave is so famous for. So the point of this post...


My day of firsts: yesterday, I got to ride on an elevated train for the first time, wahoo! Yes, yes, I know, don't they have the light rail in utah? Yes, but it doesn't count. It's too clean and is too new. This was a big city train, that went underground and had weird people on it, just like you see in the movies! It was great. I did get a little movie and pictures, BUT I left the cord at home so I'll have to wait till I get home.
My second first: I went to my first professional baseball game! Normally, I find baseball quite boring and slow moving, almost as bad as golf. But most of my experiences have been watching it on TV...LAME! This was live and in person. We went and watched the White Sox play the Los Angeles Angels in US Cellular field. It was also neat because they honored their pitcher, Mark Beurhle, who pitched a perfect game their last home game (July 23rd). That was pretty neat. The game was fun to watch, the weather was perfect, then we root root rooted for home team and they won. I did not enjoy a real ballpark hot dog like the rest of my group (I get heartburn just thinking about a hot dog) and they enjoyed other things I did not care to enjoy, but together as a whole, we had a blast!
PS I figured out how to add a slideshow! yeah me! Ok, the four pictures added are ones from Lisa's camera, so they are not that good, sorry! When I get home, I'll add more pictures, but I was just experimenting with those 4.

3 comments:

Kimo said...

What a fun trip! Can't wait to hear about it in person. I'm glad you got brave enough to run outside in the city. Big cities can be intimidating to us rural folk, but as long as you stay out of the really seedy parts of town, I find them absolutely fascinating. Reading your post reminded me of two things: 1. All the fun times we had when we lived in Pittsburgh, and 2. My first experience in Chicago 11 years ago in the middle of August where we sat in our car with the windows rolled up for two hours (we were waiting for Tim's brother to get home from work, and were scared of big cities back then) before finally rolling the windows down, and eventually getting out of the car and hanging with the locals on the front steps in the shade. . . I love the city.

Alli said...

It has been a blast! I am loving the big city experience: walking everywhere, the little corner cafes, the parks...I could live in a big city...now affording to live in a big city, that's another issue...

P Haggard said...

I always hated baseball on tv too, but I LOVE watching it in person!
Your trip sounded great!