Saturday, August 22, 2009

Climb on!

For the past couple of weeks, James has been begging Steve to take him rock climbing. Steve has been several times this summer and James has been dying to go. Mostly I think he wanted to use all the cool gear Steve pulls out when he goes. So finally, we organized a "kid friendly" rock climbing trip with several families in our ward. What a success it was! We finally got to use the kid's harness, thanks Jill and Joel! And I got to climb for the first time in over 2 years. Yes, I admit I was a bit skeptical about how it would all play out: making sure the kids were happy and all and not crying or whining. For the most it went very well...except when we first got there and Molly was grumpy, mostly because dad left to go set up an anchor; but she cheered up once we pulled out the snacks.

We climbed at a site about 5 miles from our house called Latern Hill. We have hiked there several times and really enjoy the scenery. It reminds us a bit of Millcreek Canyon. The site has several climbs ranging from a 5.5 (easiest) to a 5.11 (a bit more challenging). Unlike Utah, it's not bolted and there are no anchors so the dads got pretty creative with the webbing and extra rope setting up our own anchors. The kids climbed the 5.5 route and the adults climbed a 5.8 route. We had two ropes going and would have had a third if we had more webbing (I think a field trip to REI is in order). I definitely hope we can go again! I would like a trip with the adults minus the kids...what do you think? Anyone game?

Even Molly got to "climb".


























For the past couple of months, Molly has been working on improving her vocabulary. The rest of us have been improving on figuring out what she really means. Here are a few examples:

Dink: "I would like a drink. No, not water or milk, but whatever you are having is fine...oh, and yes, I insist on drinking out of your cup."

Nummy: "What you have looks really good and I need some of that...NOW!"

Doggie: this word applies to any furry four-legged creature....including stuffed animals.

Pease: Molly has learned to use this word to get whatever she wants. She looks up at you with those big brown eyes, gives you her biggest smile that lights up her whole face, and says this word. I have yet to meet anyone who can resist her charm. I certainly can't.

Ames: James of course, her favorite playmate

Natnan: Batman, James's favorite superhero. "Dress me up in a cape too so I can be just like James"

Wacie: Lacy, the dog. As Molly is calling for her, Lacy is usually hiding in the futhermost corner of the house.

Wash: "I see you are doing something with water. That must mean its time for me to play in the water and get it all over everything within a 5 foot radius."

Up: "Hold me...for about 5 seconds then I'll change my mind and squirm around and around until you put me down."
Nuggle: "Hold me some more so I don't have to take a nap/go to sleep." or it could mean, "I'm really tired and ready for my nap, but I would never admit it".

No: "No, nope, nada, not happening, no way, in your wildest dreams, that's not what I want...duh!"

Of course she has a lot more words she uses, but these are some of her favorites. And like every other 17 month old she has a variety of noises that just can't be described in words. But when she uses them, you know EXACTLY what she means. My favorite are her squeals of laughter as James chases her around the house...or as she is running away from you as you are trying to change her diaper/dress her/take something away from her she really shouldn't have.




3 comments:

Trisha said...

Molly sounds so cute and fun. What a sweetie. Thanks for sharing!

Kimo said...

I love all the words - and especially the interpretations! Let us know next time you plan a climbing trip, it looked like fun!

Jessica 7 said...

I think my kids would love a try at climbing if you do another kid friendly trip. I've never been, but might be persuaded to give it a go...It looked like you had a great time!