Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Green Lady with the Torch


For my birthday, we took a day trip to New York City. I finally got to see the Statue of Liberty. Woo woo! For anyone planning a trip soon, I HIGHLY recommend buying your tickets online the night before. It seriously saved us 2 to 3 hours of waiting in line (and just in case you're wondering, tickets to go up into the crown are sold out until the middle of November). Because we bought our tickets before hand, we didn't have to wait in line to buy them and we didn't have to wait in line to get on the Ferry either. Steve did it the hard way last time he was in New York and it took him 3 hours to buy tickets and wait in line for the Ferry. It took us 20 minutes and we were on the ferry. NICE!


After Liberty Island we took the subway to uptown Manhatten to see the dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History. James got to see real dinosaur bones. Then afterwards we took the kids to play in Central Park. Such a peaceful place amidst a crazy city. After dinner, we walked down Broadway to Times Square. That is something everyone has to experience at least once. Somehow we missed the Naked Cowboy... darn it. But as we were walking, we stumbled across the Manhatten Temple. We weren't looking for it, didn't even know where it was, and we would have missed it if I didn't see "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" on the side. At first glance I thought it was a church house. Then I realized what it was and said, "OH! There's the Manhatten Temple". Yeah, I'm a dork. I couldn't decide which pictures to post, so check out the slide show.

As some of you know, New York City is a place Steve is considering for his masters. Now that I've been there....twice...I think I could live there for 2 years and survive. So yes Uncle Bob and Uncle Scott, your votes are now in the running. But as fun as it was, it was nice to come home to the quiet and solicitude of Lakeside Drive in Ledyard.


I still miss the mountains.

1 comment:

Q said...

That looks like a fun trip; I'll be sure to take your advice when I get the chance to go to NYC. By the way, love the vocab list of Molly!