Thursday, August 6, 2009

Day Three and more firsts...

Wednesday morning was more of the same, "Blah blah blah...Cornell notes...blah blah blah...Socratic seminar...blah blah blah...philosophical chairs...blah blah blah" (good for me, boring for you). But our afternoon meeting was held on the sun deck and it was nice to sit in the sun for a bit and then relax in the hot tub after we cut our meeting short.

Before I tell you about my firsts, let me tell you about Lisa. Lisa co-teaches with me and knows everyone and everything and is just a phenomenal person. Anywho, she knows the general manager of the Michael Jordan restaurants in CT, so he hooked us up with a dinner at the Michael Jordan restaurant (160 Blue) here in Chicago on Wednesday night.

In order to get to the restaurant, we had to take a cab...my first cab ride! We walked out of the hotel, and just like in the movies, the door man hailed a cab for us, and opened our door, and we were on our way. The restaurant was very fancy schmancy. The waiter asked us if we wanted sparkling, bottled, or tap, and I said, "Water is fine for me." Uh, that's what he was talking about...yeah, I felt stupid and small townish! I had a phenomenal saffron linguine plate but the dessert left something to be desired. Good thing we weren't paying for it because the bill because it was more than I would ever want to spend on food. Anywho, it was fun and a great first experience. Then we took a cab to Navy Pier and watched the fireworks. Then we walked around and listened to a live band that was playing. They were playing 80's songs so we knew and sang along with all the songs.

This morning was more of the same, but all of us were getting tired of meetings and our comments had a sarcastic tint to it. Our "leader" cancelled our afternoon meetings and we walked to "Miracle Mile" on Michigan Ave. It was cool to see all the stores, but overall it wasn't that fascinating to me because all of those stores I can find in Connecticut and I'm not a big shopper, I can never find exactly what I'm looking for. Anywho, needless to see we were literally walking from 12:30 to 5:00. Good thing I'm in shape!

Meanwhile, Steve took the kids to New York City today. Lately, James has been highly interested in mummies and Egyptians. So Steve took them to the Met to see their Egyptian exhibit. James LOVED it. He loved seeing the mummies and the sarcophaguses. After the Met, he took the kids to Central Park to play. They enjoyed it immensely, and have really enjoyed spending time with Dad. As much as I have enjoyed my trip, I am ready to go home and see my love and my kids. I miss them lots and lots. Thank goodness I'll be home tomorrow (Friday) night.

3 comments:

Cyndi and Logan said...

What fun you are having!! Good for you!! Good job Steve on handling the kids, I don't think that I could be away from my kids that long!! I love and miss you, going to Utah tomorrow, wish you could be there!!!

Jessica 7 said...

What a great get-away. I'm impressed with Steve for taking 2 small chillins to NYC on his own. :)

Trisha said...

Yeah for the Duncan family blog! I just hope we dont totally lose you when school starts. Looks like a fun trip, and Steve is very brave. How often do you all go to NYC?