Monday, August 3, 2009

Chicago - The Windy City

So about two months ago, I got an email from the assistant superintendent about a conference in Chicago. Like every other email from central office, I scanned through it and deleted it. A couple of days later, Lisa, the teacher I co-teach with asked me if I was going to go to Chicago. "Um, no, didn't really think about it. Why?" Well, she talked me into going: only 8 teachers were invited, it was all expenses paid, a $65 a day food allowance, we'd be staying in a hotel on Michigan Ave, and oh yeah, training on better teaching strategies. I talked to Steve, worked it out, and here I am! It's been quite an experience so far.




We flew out yesterday from Hartford. When we got to the O'Hara airport, there was no shuttle to the hotel, so we took a limosine. I was kinda hoping for a cab (I've never been in cab). Anywho, we are staying in this fancy shmancy Hilton Hotel on Michigan ave. The lobby is so fancy, I feel like I should dress up just to go downstairs! Oh yeah, so the conference...the whole reason I'm here. We registered this morning, and like true teachers skipped the morning sessions to find breakfast, they weren't required anyway. And now the couple of hours we do have to ourselves, its raining. So, now we are just waiting to see what the rest of the day brings...




Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Molly has learned a new game: Molly polo. No matter where she is, she'll call out "Momma/daddy". And we answer, "Molly". Then she smiles big and repeats the process, "Momma/daddy". This game is especially fun for her when we are driving. James loves to join in when we don't asnwer soon enough, "Momma/daddy, Molly is calling for you." Lots of fun at the Duncan house!

5 comments:

Carrie Medford said...

You sure are living the high life. If that's what you get when you get a masters, I want one!

Kimo said...

I didn't know you were going to Chicago . . . I guess if our Saturday adventure to the beach had worked out better, we would have been in on your plans . . . so sorry about that!

Anyhoo . . . how cool to have an all expenses paid trip to the Windy City! I hope you have a wonderful time!

Cyndi and Logan said...

Have fun in Chicago!! I am jealous, I have always wanted to visit there!! I miss your cute kids, McCray asks about James a lot, they grow up too fast.

Peggy said...

Your writing style is confident and witty. Wow, living the high-life and writing well about it. It must be the degree! I want one too!

Fun that you can blog from Chicago. And I'm sure it won't take long for Steve to put his own touch on your cyber home.

And I want Molly to teach Estelle her "molly polo". So fun!

Jessica 7 said...

Have a great trip! Hope the weather clears up. I've stayed at a fancy hotel a couple of times and know how you feel about 'dressing up to go to the lobby.' I guess I'm not that refined!